Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Sad Day in the Book World


For those of you who have not heard, Borders bookstore chain will be closing down.  This is after a long struggle to keep up with Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and other book providers.

Of course, this will affect the business side of things; but more importantly, it will affect many individuals.  I've already seen many of the employees from one of Albuquerque's previously closed Borders deal with the struggle of finding a new place to work. Regular customers must now find other book sellers.

Borders has been my favorite bookstore for a while now.  I don't just go there to buy books.  I stay in the cafe and work there. I find their atmosphere much more welcoming than that of Barnes & Nobles when staying for long periods of time.  Borders cafe's have larger tables, and outlets anyone?  Hardly any at Barnes & Noble.  This has also been the place where I meet up with people. Or I just spend time there by myself to get away from college life.

I remember when Walden Books closed in our local mall.  All that's left now,for the most part, are clothing stores.  Don't get me wrong, clothes shopping can be fun, but it's a rare occasion for me.  Books are something I can search through daily.

Now, I am left with only one physical location to do my book buying.  No matter what kind of deals I can find online, nothing beats looking through a book in person.

So I am now going to say good bye to a shop that has become a part of my everyday life.

What are your opinions on the closing of Borders?  What about online book buying versus shops?

No comments:

Post a Comment